Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
It's snowing here in West Tennessee, and I'm bundled up in my house thinking about warm things...a cozy crackling fire, an almond milk latte, getting back under the covers...literally anything to take my mind off this cold! Y'all, I went out to feed my goats and chickens this morning, and my fingers had frost-bite by the time I got back inside. Okay, not really, but it sure felt like they were going to fall off. This Southern girl isn't used to these temps.
The only thing I can think of eating right now are warm, yummy soups. Here's a recipe I modified for my family, especially on busy weeknights.
What do you need?
- Rotisserie chicken from the grocery (if they have organic-even better!)
- Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- 4 cups Organic Chicken stock/broth (Tip: I use the box kind because it's 4 cups)
- 28-oz can of fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilis
- Small can of tomato sauce
- Packet of taco seasoning (I make my own with ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper)
- Toppings-limes, jalapeños, cilantro, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese
- Shred your rotisserie chicken to use in the soup
- Sauté chopped onion (4-6 minutes) and add garlic (1-2 minutes additional) in olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot. This (Tip-if you want to put this in the CrockPot, you can just use a small sauté pan for this step and add to the CrockPot).
- Add 4 cups of chicken stock/broth.
- Add in the can of fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilis, the small can of tomato sauce, the taco seasoning, and the shredded chicken.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm in bowls with salt and pepper, fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, jalapeños, avocado, crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese.
- You can also add black beans in place of the chicken for a vegetarian soup
- Buy garlic pre-minced and keep the jar in the fridge
Poblano peppers are a nice addition; add chopped poblanos when you sauté the onions and garlic.
- If you want a quick side for this, serve with warm cheese quesadilla wedges for dipping (my kids love this!)
I hope this soup is a hit with your family! If you are snowed in, I promise it will warm you up.